Memoirs of Kumi Anne

On 19 April 1982, at 5.30am, a lovely couple, Murugiah and Pathamavathy were gifted with a beautiful soul in the form of a baby boy. He was brought to this world by the help of professionals at Ping Lok Clinic in Buntong, Perak. It was a bright sunny day, which could have only reflected on the beautiful journey the soul was going to take. He was about 5.5 pounds in weight, fair, too cute and quite literally a bundle of joy.


He was named Kumarendran after our paternal great grandfather. He was fondly known as Kumi among as his cousins and Kumar or Qmar to his friends from alma mater, workplace and social media. He spent the majority of his childhood with his cousins in Penang, Ipoh and KL. He was also deeply loved and cared for by many, especially Mr & Mrs Kali Meenatchi and family, Mr & Mrs Kathiresan Saraswathi and family, Mr & Mrs Karuppiah Kalyani and family as well as many others.


Some of the fondest memories of us with him include Sumathi citti tying a saree swing with a wire for Kumi Anne as a few days old baby due to excessive crying. There was always the gang of three musketeers (Shanker, Raj and Kumi) who would take a bus from Butterworth to Ipoh regularly for their school holidays. During the bus journey, they would identify a bridge as Penang Bridge. It is funny because at that time, Penang Bridge was not built yet. They would also name three limestone mountains with their own names. We would look forward to our annual gathering with all our cousins in Ipoh.



His year end school holidays would be spent with our cousins in KL; Guru, Chitra, Ranga, Jamuna, Santha & Yuvaraj. They would attempt various activities with our strict yet caring Sundary Atte, swimming, learning how to put up buttons and tie shoelaces, camping on the house grounds and many more.

Among our small sibling trio, he was always the negotiator diplomat, which was showcased by his political involvement. I am always the peacemaker while Gayathiry is the creative problem maker/solver. We lived in 4E flats and he would do all the house chores for his lil sisters. Eventually he taught us how to do house chores before moving out to university.


My best memories of us together was when I was 4 years old and he would bring me and my bantal busuks to my babysitter’s house early in the morning. This happened right before he left for school with my sister. When I was 6 years old, Amma went to the US for work and I would always cry for her. He was such a sweet brother, he would bring out all the photo albums to show me pictures of Amma and to console me. I listened to Backstreet Boys and Westlife because he did. I played Need for Speed because he did. I knew ARR because he did. We listened to ARR songs together. I want to have tattoos because he did. We were always goofy together.


He would play with my hair to irritate me, fight for the same spot on the sofa, fight for the TV remote, stick tongue out at each other, pick food out of my plate. We would also have each other’s back, speak about our troubles and try to be wise with our lives. He has blessed all of us with his presence and his jovialness, He has always been a caring, helpful and funny person in my life. I never worried about anything when he was here. I know my brother would help me, with all his networking. Today is a year since his soul has left us. Let us cherish all the memories we’ve had with him in the last 36 years of his life, gracing us with his best smiles, jokes and involvement in the community.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, time does not heal anything!

Marriage: Yay or Nay

Scribbles from the past